Connecting Ronson to boyd and Carr
in groups: Imagine that Jon Ronson, danah boyd, and Nick Carr have been asked to engage in a panel discussion of “The Possibilities and Perils of Internet Culture”. Drawing on the passages you’ve locate in their book, try to script an exchange between them in which each author speaks twice. (While you should be able to tag any of their statements to specific moments in their books, you do not have to quote their prose word for word.) Appoint a fast typist as your secretary. Email your conversation to me. My hope will be to talk about moments from them in class next Monday.
Readings for Monday: Fake News, Privacy, and Surveillance
- danah boyd, “Google and Facebook Can’t Just Make Fake News Disappear,” Medium 3/27/2017.
- Steven Levy, “The Internet Isn’t the Wild West Anymore. It’s Westworld,” Medium 4/01/2017.
- Mon, 4/10, class: Read the articles by boyd and Levy. We will discuss them and “The Possibilities and Perils of Internet Culture”.
- Wed, 4/12, class: Finsish reading Ronson.
- Thurs, 4/13, 10:00 am: Post your response to Ronson/boyd/Carr to this site. Use your group number as your category. Read and post comments on your group member’s responses to Ronson.