Your second writing assignment is in many ways the same as the first: Write a post of about 400 words or so in which you use your reading of Carr’s The Shallows as a springboard for your own thoughts on our digital culture.
There are, however, a few ways in which I’d like you to take on some new challenges in this piece.
- Finish Carr. Convince me that you’ve done so by responding to a passage in the second half of his book.
- Try to move past saying, I feel the same way. We all do—and it’s perfectly reasonable that confessing to a Carr-like mood of impatience and distractedness was the principle theme of many first responses to his work. But if that’s all we can come up with, we will soon run the risk of boring one another. So what else might there be to say about living and working in the sort of culture Carr describes?
- Embed an image in your response. See if you can use an image in your writing that does not simply illustrate but somehow adds to what you have to say.
A few more rules about images. If you use an image that has been created by someone else, you must:
- Give credit to the maker of the image. (Use the caption function in WordPress to do so.)
- Crop or alter the image in some way.
Or you can simply use an image you have made yourself.
Once again I will also ask you to read and comment on the responses posted by your group members. The deadline for your post is 10:00 AM on Thurs, 2/23. The deadline for your comments is the start of class on Fri, 2/24.
I look forward to reading your work!